Nespresso, Senseo, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto: Reviews and Comparisons
Here we will take a look at the main advantages and disadvantages of each coffee-pod maker.
Coffee-pod Maker from Tassimo Bosch
- Variety of brands. This is one of Tassimo’s strong points. In contrast to Nespresso and Dolce Gusto, who for example only offer Nestle products, Tassimo have various brands on offer (Milka, Starbucks, Carte Noire).
- Variety of products. Tassimo offer a variety of different products to suit every taste. Their range includes espresso,cappuccino, latte, hot chocolate and teas.
- The espresso machine itself, manufactured by Bosch, is very sturdy, but in comparison to Dolce Gusto it doesn’t have as much control over the coffee. The machine is semi-automatic, using the individual barcode on each capsule to ‘monitor’ the coffee-making process, but it doesn’t have the benefits of a fully automatic machine.
Nescafe Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine
- The machine’s simplicity and robustness.Dolce Gusto uses a very sturdy machine, manufactured by Krups. It works with a single lever, allowing you to adjust the amount of coffee and chocolate to your own taste.
- The hot chocolate and cappuccino. The coffee is not it’s best product, especially for the most selective of coffee-lovers (the coffee is very good in any case) but the hot chocolate is excellent.
- Buying pods is very easy. They are sold in all major outlets and you can also order them online or over the phone.
- There is only one brand of coffee to choose from, namely Nescafé.If you aren’t a fan of this variety, there are no alternatives.
- In comparison with Nespresso, the quality of the final product is not so high. Not only due of the quality of the coffee itself but also due to the system of preparation (less pressure, the type of capsule).
Philips Senseo Coffee Pod Machines
- The price of the machine and its pods. This is Senseo’s greatest advantage; the price of the machine and pods is considerably lower than those of other brands.
- Senseo is an ideal single-serve system for anyone who wants decent quality coffee at a reasonable price.
- Brand guarantee. Senseo Philips a well-known and prestigious brand.
- The machine, manufactured by Phillips, is very simple,not too big and it isn’t complicated to use or maintain.
- The final product, the coffee, isn’t the best. The machine doesn’t exert the same amount of pressure as other coffee-pod machines, such as Nespresso or Dolce Gusto. The ESE pod system also means that you have to remove the used capsules from the machine manually.
Nespresso Coffee Machines
- Variety and quality of the Café Gourmet capsules.Nespresso offers a range of gourmet-quality coffee. There are various blends, of various origins.
- The range of machines. Nespresso works with the market’s best brands – Krups, Siemens, Delonghi etc. Unlike Dolce Gusto and Tassimo, who only have a single model, Nespresso offers an extensive range, from manual coffeemakers to completely automatic coffee-pod machines.
- For coffee-lovers, who appreciate really good coffee, Nespresso is without a doubt the most appropriate single-serve system.
- There are no milk capsules available, whereas Dolce Gusto and Tassimo sell specific pods to make latte and offer milk-based coffees, with individual pods of milk. By way of compensation, Nespresso do sell a milk-heater called Aeroccino, which you can use to warm up milk or prepare cappuccino.
- Distribution – this is Nespresso’s great disadvantage, buying the pods. They offer you two ways to buy them, either going to one of their Nespresso shops, which can only be found in larger cities, or ordering them online.
- The price of the pods is somewhat higher than Dolce Gusto and Tassimo, and much higher than Senseo.